Submitted by Suzie B.
This is a sneaky and delicious way to get a bunch of spinach into your family. 🙂
Skillet Penne & Sausage Supper
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped fine
- 8 oz penne pasta (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- (1) 6-oz bag baby spinach
- 1 oz parmesan, grated (1/2 cup)
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until simmering.
- Add the onion and 1/2 t. salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage.
- Pour the broth and cream over the pasta. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach a handful or two at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. (It seems like it won’t all fit, but it will!)
- Stir in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.